Monday, 10 July 2017

Smooshing Technique - three of a kind

Morning everyone :)

I needed some time out and what better way than to sit at my desk and try a new technique.

My friend Julie Hickey recently made a video showing a 'how to' smoosh with Craftwork Cards products and you can see it
here. I was inspired to make something after watching Julie in action and knew this would be my next project - so thank you Julie for inspiring me! x

Materials: 
Tonic Studios Nuvo Hybrid Ink Pad, Black Shadow
Ranger White Glacier White Pigment
Distress inks - Picked Raspberry, Spiced Marmalade, Abandoned Coral

Oxide inks - Fossilized Amber, Spiced Marmalade, Worn Lipstick
Nuvo Crystal Drops, English Mustard
Thick Watercolour Card 300gsm
Craft Perfect, Black Card
Craftwork Cards 6x6 cardblanks cut down to A2 size - 5.5" x 4.25"
Craftwork Cards Candi Fix
Craftwork Cards Alphabet Stamp Set 
Tonic Studios and Tim Holtz Stamp Platform. 
Card 1
I started bright and made three different cards in the same colourway. 
This was my first smooshing attempt, just like Julie shows us how to do it in the video and boy is it vibrant! 
A little too vibrant for me so I dug out one of my 12x12 multi stencils and inked through it with Ranger Glacial White Pigment Ink Pad for a very subtle contrast.
I was much happier with it now and didn't think a sentiment was needed. I may add one later but think it's beautiful on its own. 
Card 2
Deeper colour on my second card. Again I used the same stencil sheet but this time used the Fossilized Amber with my fingers through the stencil. 
This definitely needs a topper and sentiment but that's for another day. 
Card 3
My third card for this colourway set was more controlled with the inks I picked up as I wanted to leave some white space. 
For my final card I added a sentiment, using the Tonic Studios Hybrid Black Shadow Ink Pad and mydelicious Craftwork Cards Alphabet Stamps. The card was finished off using a  Copic 0.3 Multiliner to make a border and Nuvo English Mustard Crystal Drops.
Watercolour card can be tricky to stamp on and so I used my new Tonic Studios Tim Holtz Stamp Platform which gives perfect results every time. 
I chose the word kalon for my card today as it means beauty - inside and out. You are my passion, my love, my kalon. Isn't that a beautiful sentiment for someone you love?! I'm a little nervous to share these as I hope Julie thinks I've done her video justice.
I've made another set I'll share tomorrow in a blue colourway and can't wait to share them! 
Until then - lots of love and hugs
Jennifer xx